Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lit analysis #1

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens


  1. A boy name pip was visiting his mother's grave stumble upon an escape convict who forces him  to help in his attempt to loose the police. In which causes a series of events that leads to good old pip to be taken to london to be taught in the ways of the gentleman
  2. The theme of this story is to stay true to yourself and don't let anything change you.
  3. The stories tone is that of remorse or regret, that your life choices are not always the right one. example "I had never parted from him before, and what with my feelings and what with soapsuds, I could at first see no stars from the chaise-cart. But they twinkled out one by one, without throwing any light on the questions why on earth I was going to play at Miss Havisham's, and what on earth I was expected to play at. (7.92)"
  4. The literary elements used in this story is symbols, tone, and imagery. The tone is Great expectations changes throughout the whole novel. The book starts out as comical then it goes to dramatic to dark to sympathetic. For symbol, The stopped clocks at Satis House: symbolize Miss Havisham’s attempt to stop time. For imagery “I ran no farther than the house door, for there I ran head foremost into a party of soldiers with their muskets; one of whom held out a pair of handcuffs to me saying, 'Here you are, look sharp, come on!"

Characterization 
  1. An example of direct characterization is “I drew a childish conclusion that my mother was freckled and sickly” (ch 1, p. 4). An example of indirect characterization I earnestly expressed my hope that he wouldn't, and held tighter to the tombstone on which he had put me; partly, to keep myself upon it; partly, to keep myself from crying. (ch 1, p. 5).
  2. Pip is a dynamic character because he does change from a small town poor boy to a gentleman in class.



No comments:

Post a Comment